Friday, August 28, 2009

Off to a Great Start!

We've had a terrific first week of school!

My class received very high grades on their first reading selection test with Ms. Harris! She was very surprised and pleased with the results!

I've also been pleasantly surprised with the level of my kids' math skills! This has been the best prepared group of new students that I've had in a long time! I can't wait to see how far we can go together!

In science, we've started our unit on matter, learning about how scientist use the physical properties of matter to study the world. Today, students did an investigation in which they had to figure out which of five substances were water. We read a book today about how everything in the universe is made out of the same stuff - it was a book that personified the Universe itself. Next week, we'll be practicing with measuring tools and learning about volume, mass, weight, and density. Later on in this unit, students will be working with a variety of materials to make chemical reactions!

In social studies, we're starting our year-long study of U.S. history, starting with the very formation of the continents from Pangaea. Next week, we'll begin learning about the first people in America.

It's been a wonderful week and I can't wait until we really get moving next week! Don't forget, parents, that Open House is NEXT THURSDAY AT 7:00 PM! Please make sure you are here!

No comments: