It happened after a wonderful first day of school. It was wonderful to be back with my amazing class once again. Seeing all those bright, smiling faces coming back "home" really made me feel great this morning. I was even more pleasantly surprised to find out that Abdullah, who I had been informed had moved over the summer, actually didn't move and was back in our class once again!
Today was the first year EVER that I was able to actually get started with teaching math, science, social studies, and reading all on the first day! That never happens. You normally have to spend most of the first few days teaching routines and procedures and building a classroom community. Today, I was able to skip most of that and get right into learning. It was such a great feeling to get going right away. It almost makes me want to follow these kids all the way through twelfth grade.
So, after a really incredible first day of school, came an amazing surprise. A former Sofferin's Superstar, Shantania came by to visit.

Shantania was in my fifth grade class four years ago. Prior to being in my class, Shan had a really rough time at Beauclerc. She seriously struggled through her learning, especially math. She often fell into groups of kids with negative behavior, and she developed a sometimes negative attitude. All this earned Shantania a really bad reputation at the school. Lots of people at the school thought of Shan in this negative light, and they expected the worst of her. Nobody ever wanted to give her a chance. But getting to know her in extended day, I quickly realized that her behavior was a cover for the struggles that she faced.
When she got into my class in fifth grade, I ignored everything I had heard about Shan and I held her to the same high expectations for behavior and performance that I hold all of my students to. As a result, I never once had a single issue with Shantania, and I saw her skills grow exponentially throughout the year. She was among the best students in my class in one of the best classes I ever had.
When she came to visit me at Beauclerc this afternoon, Shan shared with me that after finishing honors classes in 9th grade last year, she had been double-promoted, moved from 9th grade directly up to 11th grade. Even more spectacular, Shantania is publishing her own book, a real book with a real publishing company.
I once told Shantania that she was a "Diamond in the Rough", and through her focus, hard-work, and dedication, she has proven me right and far exceeded my expectations for her. I was more proud today than I have ever been of a student from my class. This experience was worth more to me than any amount of extra money. Teachers don't need more money. They need more kids like Shantania.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment